We recommend a complete physical exam for your pet on a yearly basis. Lots of changes can occur from year to year, especially as your pet gets older. In addition, we will counsel you on which prescription pet food diets are best suited to your particular companion’s needs for a healthier lifestyle. In addition, your new pet will be tested for worms and be treated for the most common intestinal worm found in puppies and kittens known as “roundworms”. Roundworms can cause gastrointestinal signs such as vomiting and/or diarrhea. There are other parasites that can cause similar symptoms and can even cause your puppy to become anemic (low red blood cells). Although some worms are visible to the naked eye, most worm problems are diagnosed by examining the stool of your puppy microscopically. Performing a fecal test will allow us to advise you on the most effective treatment plan for your new puppy or kitten. Our puppy and kitten wellness programs are designed to offer your new pet all the benefits of our comprehensive veterinary services. We recommend starting your new puppy or kitten on our wellness program from 6 weeks to 16 weeks of age. Included in our pet wellness packages are a series of examinations performed by our veterinarians to ensure your puppy or kitten is developing at a normal and healthy rate.
A yearly wellness examination with your veterinarian and program specific to your pets needs are the best ways to keep your pet healthy and enjoying life. During your pet’s annual wellness examination, our veterinarians will perform the following:
- Full physical examination
- Weight – monitoring weight gain or loss is important and can aid in early detection of diseases
- Dental examination – our pet’s mouths are very similar to our own and oral health is very important. A thorough dental exam can identify concerns such as gingivitis, fractured teeth, or infections.
- Vaccinations – specific to your pet’s needs
- Wellness blood work – heartworm testing and routine blood work can aid in early detection of diseases and are recommended as part of every wellness examination